From Dr. Russell W. Doig and all the staff here at Doig Optometry, we wanted to wish our supporters and their families a cozy Holiday and an abundant New Year! As a local business serving the local community of Calgary, we love helping both our returning and new patients by providing the excellent eye care service we are known for. This year was big for us as we celebrated seven years of excellent eye care in Calgary and we continue that momentum into the new year.
Eye Care Tips During The Holidays
With all the craziness of the holiday season from shopping, visiting families, eating good food, and watching holiday movies, we tend to put our eye health last on the list. However, your eye health is one of the most important things to take care of and maintain. Here are some eye care tips to follow not just during the holiday, but beyond:
- Sleep - You wouldn’t want to show up to your Christmas or New Year's eve parties with your eyes bloodshot caused by lack of sleep would you? Getting proper rest is crucial to our overall health. Sleep can help our immune system fight off the winter flu so that our holidays aren’t spent laying in bed all week!
- Hydration - it is recommended that you’re drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water (yes water, not eight glasses of eggnog!) per day. Proper hydration helps alleviate dry eye symptoms.
- Limiting screen time - Like many, you may find yourself enjoying a marathon of watching Christmas movies. Or perhaps you simply want to stay connected with loved ones through facetime, text messages, and social media. Be sure to give your eyes a break from your phones, tablets, or television. If your type of work requires you to be on a computer all day, consider blue light glasses to offset the effects of light-emitting from digital screens.
Our Focus On Progressive Lenses
We are passionate about offering our patients these complex lenses at Doig Optometry, and these are highly transferable to other eyeglass lens designs. But what exactly are the differences between single vision, and having progressive lenses?
- Single Vision - One prescription for the entire lens, whether it be designed for distance or reading only.
- Progressive Lenses - Designed to have multiple prescriptions in one lens.
- Our progressive lenses are highly customizable, giving you flexibility in how you wear them. Learn more about our progressive lenses here.
Schedule Your Eye Exam
We are here to make sure your vision is sharp, and you look sharp during the holiday season. Start the new year with a set of healthy eyes. Contact Doig Optometry to schedule an appointment with us!