In today's saturated market, it's hard to ignore increasing online eyewear advertisements. These enticing promotions often emphasize their competitive prices, the hassle-free experience of ordering from the comfort of your own home instead of driving through Calgary traffic, and the appealing promise of a hassle-free return policy—no questions asked.
With all the online options, it's important to ask whether these alternatives deliver the exceptional quality and expertise offered by the esteemed Calgary eye doctors at Doig Optometry. In this article, we explore the advantages of buying your prescription glasses from a professional optometrist vs ordering glasses online.
Ordering Prescription Glasses Online
Internet providers of eyewear are unregulated, and they are not required to comply with legislation that ensures the safety and accuracy of the finished eyewear. Instead, you’re left with the option of dealing with glasses that don’t work well or sending them back to try again and again until you become frustrated and give up.
When you order prescription glasses online:
- Not all minimum standards are met - Research has shown that as much as half of all eyewear ordered online failed at least one of the criteria for optical quality or impact resistance testing. (Journal of the American Optometric Association, Vol 82, No 9, September 2011)
- It’s more work on your part - When buying online, you take on all the responsibility of a professional optometrist yourself. It’s suddenly up to you to take technical measurements and make all the important decisions about the fit of the frame, the lens material, the treatments, and coatings, among other things required for prescription eyeglasses in Calgary.
- You can be left with other issues - If you fail to make the right choice, then you will be surprised by unsatisfactory glasses that don’t fit well, cause headaches, and leave your vision blurry. Whether it’s a problem with the frame’s fit or quality, the sharpness of vision, chronic headaches, eye pain, or a feeling of pressure, pulling, or strain in the eyes, the consumer takes the responsibility.
Ordering Prescription Glasses From a Professional Optometrist
Quality eyewear is the result of custom work. Just like your fingerprint is unique, your eyes and your face are like no one else’s, and only expertise can bring the personalized touch that makes your glasses flawlessly yours.
That’s why the Doctors and staff at Calgary’s Doig Optometry spend all the time necessary to make careful custom measurements and ensure that your eyeglasses work perfectly for you at work, on the go, and everywhere in between.
Most online glasses aren’t terrible, but it’s simply impossible for them to compare to a pair that’s uniquely crafted for you. The caring staff and eye doctors at Doig Optometry take the time to learn about your lifestyle and visual demands, and they make the precise measurements that relate to your individual needs. And yes, we really do need to see your eyes in our office to make those precise, custom measurements!
Once we’ve obtained all the custom measurements needed, we partner with a lab capable of creating individualized glasses tailored especially for you. Once they complete all of their work, we verify that your eyeglasses meet the highest standards for quality that Dr. Doig has set.
A Proper Fit Enhances Comfort & Visual Clarity
When you order prescription glasses from Doctor Shauna Chorel or Doctor Russell Doig, all of the necessary measurements are taken with accuracy.
Patients sometimes ask if we can measure their PD for them. Inter-Pupillary Distance, or PD, is one of the measurements needed to order glasses online. Of course, we can provide you with your PD, but what about all the other custom measurements?
Here’s the list of all the things Dr. Doig wants to know and understand before we make your glasses:
- Inter-Pupillary Distance
- Optical Centre height
- Near Point Inset
- Working Distance
- Down Gaze Angle
- Vertex Distance
- Pantoscopic Tilt
- Panoramic Angle
- Binocular Balance
- Optimal Base Curve
- Lifestyle Visual Demands
When we know all these things, we can make a pair of glasses that are sharp, comfortable, and look great. Absolutely, some of these measurements can be standardized for most patients who have small, simple prescriptions. But for patients with a difference between their two eyes, for patients who need high prescriptions, or wear Progressive Lenses, it’s impossible to make a great pair of glasses without understanding all ten things on this list. Everybody else will obtain the same optimized visual performance from eyeglasses completely customized for their eyes when they purchase their eyeglasses from Doig Optometry.
The Benefits of Prescription Glasses From an Optometrist
Consumers should know that the deeply discounted pricing online is for products that are discontinued, out of warranty, or out of fashion. Since modern, optically perfect eyeglasses can only be made with customized measurements, and since online suppliers can’t get accurate customized measurements, they usually provide the simplest optical lenses that can be manufactured with approximate measurements or measurements that can be standardized for large groups of people.
This means that internet vendors can only supply older, conventional lenses that have fallen out of favour in a world where the vision standards for lenses are much more advanced. When you order prescription glasses from a professional optometrist, you get the benefit of:
- Quality of Lenses and Customized Lens Options - At Doig Optometry, we prioritize the quality of lenses we offer, including high-quality materials and advanced technologies. These lenses are carefully crafted to meet specific prescription requirements, ensuring optimal visual acuity and clarity. By investing in quality lenses and customized options, our patients experience enhanced visual performance and comfort.
- Expert Advice - Optometrists have years of training and experience in diagnosing and treating various eye conditions. Optometrists undergo extensive education and training to become experts in the field of eye care. At Doig Optometry, we possess in-depth knowledge of ocular anatomy, vision disorders, and corrective measures. When it comes to choosing the right glasses, our optometrists can assess the unique needs of each patient based on their eye health, prescription, and lifestyle.
- Fitting and Adjustments - A trusted optometrist has the ability to provide proper fitting and adjustments. A crucial aspect of wearing glasses is achieving a proper fit. Ill-fitting frames can lead to discomfort, pain, and even eyestrain. Optometrists have the knowledge and skills to take precise measurements of facial features and recommend frame styles that best complement an individual's unique facial structure and personal preferences. They ensure that the glasses sit correctly on the nose, rest comfortably on the ears, and align properly with the eyes. Moreover, if any adjustments are required, such as temple length or nose pad modifications, optometrists can skillfully make these changes to achieve a perfect fit.
- Follow-up Care - Optometrists understand that the journey to optimal vision correction does not end with the purchase of glasses. At Doig Optometry, we provide comprehensive follow-up care to monitor the effectiveness of the prescribed eyewear. This includes assessing visual acuity, evaluating the fit and comfort of the glasses, and addressing any concerns or issues that may arise. Through regular check-ups and adjustments, we can make necessary modifications to enhance the overall performance and comfort of your prescription glasses.
See Sharp and Look Sharp With the Perfect Pair of Prescription Glasses
Glasses aren’t just a fashion accessory. You may be wearing this pair of glasses every single day for a year, two, or even more, so it’s necessary to get them just right. We also work with you to find you the right pair of prescription sunglasses for Calgary’s consistent sunshine that requires 100% UV protection.
But what about the cheaper price of online glasses?
If you are interested in purchasing affordable eyewear, come visit Doig Optometry to learn about our package pricing. We have negotiated affordable package pricing that includes all the professional measurements and precision we’ve just talked about. All of our glasses are carefully crafted by our staff and doctors, and they take into account all the custom measurements necessary for giving you flawless sight at a price that’s often better than the discount suppliers in Calgary, and very competitive with the online suppliers.
We have affordable single-vision and progressive eyeglass packages and two-pair pricing, which includes the frame, personally customized lenses, coatings, case, cleaning cloth, and a bottle of eyeglass-friendly spray cleaner. We are confident that you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how affordable these packages are!